Although a lil buggy, civ5 is still a great game, to new civers. Although played through civ4 and its expansions, I am still a newbie myself. I think the game is ok but I have a lil issues I wanna inquire/discuss with this community:
1. Unskippable opening: many have mentioned this. Even though you modify the setup file as someone instructed, there is still as long black screen before you can enter the game.
2. Broken civil-wikipedia or whatever it is called. One great thing about civ4 is the great help system, every entry links to each other, easy for use, and nearly every aspect of the game is explained. But now it won't tell you something like marble boosts wonder building or incense has further usage other than just a luxury resource.
3. Speaking of marble, is there a way that it can benefit the whole empire instead of only the city nearby? If no, I think it doesn't make any sense.
4. Babylon: anyone else has problem with it? I don't even know there is this civ until I saw it in my friend's computer. Then I double check mine, it isn't there, really weird.
5. The map settings: temperature? Sea level? Earth age? Resource? Is there anywhere I can find out how each option of these settings function?
6. Unchangable advanced settings during game: this is really dumb, violating basic game-making rules, imo. I check "quick combat" before starting a game, after a while into the game I changed my mind and guess what? No way to uncheck it. Is it me or they want to punish me for changing mind?
7. Crash while loading: before the latest patch, this occurred 2 times out of every 3 loadings, really annoying. Much better after the patch, but still happens once a while.
8. Worker replaces improvements: if what I remember is correct, in civ4 there is a setting where you can prevent automated workers from replacing improvements, but I can't find it in civ5. It's really annoying when you see the workers destroying every improvements around the capital as well as your plan for the city, while there is so many unimproved tiles out there.
9. Picky early game: this might be personal. Besides me,anyone else always keeps restarting game to pick a better starting point? When there are not enough luxury resources nearby, I'd consider this game unplayable and restart. I am not blaming the game for this aspect cause I'm a newbie and I believe there must be someone out there who can go with any map condition. Just out of curious and maybe I will find a way to do well, like those ppl.
10. Boring late game. This could be just me too so I want to talk about it and see if it's any different to others. I played emperor/huge, as a newbie I did nothing but conquer. (I guess I have to conquer even if I decided to play non-aggressive. Because they all declared war on me and I have to acquire more land to boost my culture points or science research.) But after I had beaten two other major forces I found out it was becoming too easy. I did nothing but mindlessly marching my mass morden armors towards enemy territory and press next turn. There is no need to micromanage at this point, nor think about army combination or strategically destroy enemy's economy to achieve victory. Don't get me wrong what I mean is not there is no tension in the mid game, but if you manage to survive through mid game, everything is too easy. Although I only played emperor, I think that apply to deity or immortal too.
11. Broken multiplayer. It may be natural for a turn-based game that multiplayer game can't be enjoyable, not to mention the difficulty to tweak the balance, which is one of the most important things for multiplayer. So I don't expect much from MP, but according to my personal experience, MP is not only unenjoyable, but also unplayable, at least when you play via internet.
After all, this is still a good game worth spending your time on it. I am just thinking maybe I miss something which can help me enjoy it more.