Xcom + FPS... WTF?
"Those that do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."
Most Xcom fans can site the horrible sequels that tried to cash in on the Xcom Franchise and failed horribly.
2k why do you think you will do any better? The issue is your trying to live up to nostalgia and possibly one of the best turn based strategy games ever made.
As I see it, and FPS does not feed the nostalgia may fans have for the game. In reality you are just making a FPS game and branding it Xcom.
- How are you going to give me my 'squad' control in an FPS? (oh wait is an FPS)
- How are you going to give destructible buildings?
- How are you going to give me world overview control to intercepts ships and then pick and choose which landings I want to goto?
- How are you possibly going to be able to create enough content to represent locations all over the world? (oh wait your aren't)
- How are you going to randomly generate the Terror sites, crashes UFOs, Landed UFOs, Alien bases.
- Are you going to let me micro manage my resources?
- Are you going to let me research what I want?
- Are you going to let me build what I want?
- Are you going to let me train my soldiers the way I want? (oh wait its an FPS)
The fact of the matter 2k you stand in the shadow of a giant, not on its shoulders because at the end of the day you are simply going to be making another FPS because its what you can do.
I have no doubt you can make a good FPS bioshock 1 and 2 are perfect examples however Xcom is not a FPS. Trying to make it one will only hinder you not set you free.
Regardless best of luck to you.
PS: Give Xcom to the Civ folks, they might just have a clue how to do a proper Turn Based Strategy game to pay proper homage to this brand.
oh hey, great, another of the exact same topic.
Alright so your not happy that it's going to be a FPS, did you really need to make another thread for it?
We have a couple threads about the decision to make XCOM an FPS. Can we keep all the conversation in there so that we can have the best grouping of opinions possible?