The battle engine is a very basic tug of war. Every round lasts 80 seconds with the winning side inching the flag in its direction each round until the flag crosses the finish line and a winner is declared. Nothing that occurs during the 80 seconds between rounds has any impact on combat beyond setting the stage for the next round. The animation during the 80 seconds reflects how the round was resolved but is sometimes misleading.
The winner of each round is the side with the greatest power(?) when the round begins (i.e. clock resets from 1 to 1:20). Each unit has a base strength for attacking and one for defending. The same value is used for the entire combat depending on whether your civilization invaded (attack) or not (defend). The base strength can be enhanced by wonders and the National Militia civic. The enhanced strength is then modified by stance, weather, flanking, MiniGame, Civic (Gladiator) and Knights Templar auction bonuses to derive the power of each unit. The strength bonuses are added and then multipleid by each modifier that applies. For Example, a Spearman with Himeji Castle in fog with a heroic Gladiator stance has a strength of 3 (2+1) and a power of 18 ((2+1) *2*3).
Losses are a function of the total battle strength of both sides, the stance of the defending unit and the enhanced strength of the defending unit. Retreating units are not considered to be ‘on the field’ when calculating power, but they can be hit while retreating. The battle bar moves faster if there are no opposing forces.
- Victory results from pushing the battle bar all the way to the end in one direction
- The battle bar moves once at the beginning of each round
- The battle bar moves faster each round if there is no opposition
- The battle bar moves in the direction of the side with the greatest power(?) at the start of the round
- Power is a combination of enhanced strength times the total combat modifier for each unit
- Strength can be enhanced by
- Himeji Castle: +1 when defending
- Leonardo Workshop: +1 when invading
- National Militia: +1 when defending
- Combat modifiers are impacted by
- Weather: Doubled
- Stance: Heroic-Doubled, Fortified-Halved
- Flanking: Doubled
- Auction: Doubled
- MiniGame: Bonus value
- Gladiator: Tripled rather than doubled on heroic only.
- Enhanced strength is multiplied by every multiplier (i.e. ES * Weather * Stance * Flank * Minigame)
- Combat losses are based on
- Total power of both sides in battle
- Enhanced strength of the unit taking damage
- Stance (Fortified: Half, Heroic/gladiator: Triple)