I thought I might start this thread in hopes of getting everyone to consolidate all the information about sound issues in Bioshock here in this one thread.
Apparently threads with lots of posts will get addressed before lesser ones so it might help us to all get this sorted out sooner.
Everyone should post all the information they have about their sound problem here. Post a problem description, PC specs and maybe upload your DxDiag file somewhere and post a link here also.
I'll start by posting what I know about my sound problem.
All the sound in the game is "snap crackle pop" static and seems to skip also.
Things I have tried:
- Updating drivers
- Uninstalling and re-installing my sound card
- Uninstalling and re-installing Bioshock.
- Turned off all the sound options in the game menu, and tweaked the ini file to turn off all sound, turn on sound comaptibility mode, and lower all sound settings such as "MaxChannels" etc.
- Disabled onboard Sound in Bios.
- Tried running the game in Compatibility mode.
- Tried "disabling all sound enhancements" under the windows control panel sound settings.
- Tried turning off all sound settings in the creative control panel such as EAX and CMSS, and tried changing the mode from Game to Entertainment.
- Tried editing the ini file and changing the settings "AudioDevice=FMODAudio.FMODAudioSubsystem" to ";AudioDevice=FMODAudio.FMODAudioSubsystem" and adding the line AudioDevice=D3DDrv.D3DAudioDevice". This fixes the sound entirely in the menu and in the intro movie but then there is no sound in the load screens or during the game.
My DxDiag file:
Xfi-Xtreme music sound card
1gb of ram
Nvidia 7800GT 256mb graphics card
ASUS A8N-SLI mobo
I'm using the retail version of BioShock