Things I would have liked to seen/improvements (probably spoilers here)
OK, this may get a little nitpicky, even though this is one of the greatest games I've ever played. Note that this is coming from someone who was not happy when Manhunt 2 was delayed. Perhaps not from a development standpoint, but for certain from my dreamworld (a place where the artist would not fear the censor...?) standpoint, I think there would have been room for more.
I apologize in advance if anything below contradicts the original thought of what the game should be, or if any my suggestions are considered (gulp) blasphemy by anyone at 2K Games or the known universe.
1. Revelation of what a Big Daddy looked like - wouldn't it have been cool, either when fighting a BD, you shot its helmet off - and it's an even more twisted, spliced up "human" than the splicers were? Maybe the Rosies could have been female (Big Mommies?) and the Bouncers male, maybe they'd speak to you then (in intelligible language). Maybe when you're just following them around, taking pictures, watching their interactions with the Little Sisters, they'd take off their helmets for a kiss (awww) from the LS's (special "awww" achievement on Xbox 360).
2. Different Little Sisters - they should have had variations on the hair color, wardrobe, sayings, voices, and their interactions with the BD (both normally and when the BD's died) should have varied. Like after you kill the BD, maybe they'd poke him with their Adam syringe, maybe they'd yell at you (you killed my friend!), maybe they'd try to fight you in a futile way. I just think there could have been more emotion involved when dealing with them, and it seemed to get a little repetitive after a while.
3. Video diaries - how about some cutscenes of the Fall of Rapture, the New Year's Eve party, maybe Diane McClintock's bandages coming off or Dr. Steinman's "facelift" surgery (not what she wanted, but I wanted more). What about the "killing" of Fontaine? Or Masha being taken from her parents? Or Suchong's unfortunate discovery of the BD protectiveness. I guess I could go on for a while here...
4. Statistics. How many of each type of splicer did I kill? How many diaries did I find? How many LS's did I save/BD's did I kill? Most used plasmid? Number of times I crapped my pants (1, for sure, in that foggy dentist's office - don't sneak up on me like THAT). Maybe a final game grade depending on various factors.
5. Endgame credits. Granted, I think it's pretty clear that the ending has been probably the most critized part of the game (it's just so short, and abrupt). After such a great experience, I think it would have been good to see the credits, along with a montage of the usual suspects - artwork, programmers wearing BD helmets, Ken getting his Adam harvested by the legal department - along with some more of the GREAT music in the game, it really gives a game closure.
But maybe 2K is saving some/all of these for the sequel...or prequel...
So what would you most like to see...or, something else?
Full of spoilers below.
It's most unlikely seeing BD's taking their helmets off, since they're really just a bunch of skin and organs crafted into the suit and implanted with mechanical gizmos. I think the fact that you don't know what exactly they are 'till the very end makes them more creepy than revealing their actual features. Plus, having the LS kiss one of the BDs would be less "aww" and more "oh god", since they're forced and conditioned to follow these big smelly mechano-corpses around. I'm sure that without their history, they would never go within ten feet of the things.
It's a personal thing, I guess, but hearing the recordings of what happened in the past and seeing the results of it right in front of you is much more immersing to me than video logs could be. For example, the scene with Marsha and her dead parents clinging to each other next to a spilled mess of sleeping pills is utterly disturbing and emotional; the only thing you get to hear are voices, ghosts from the past. I guess it's supposed to make you realize what went on at a given time without presenting too much information.
A thing I would add might be more diverse / challenging hacking minigames and more secrets / easter eggs that make re-playing the game and finding all of them worthwhile. Other than that, very superb job!
Some good points in the orginal post. Some stuff I would have though went without saying but to my suprises was lacking from this otherwise 'amazing' game.
Although this is the best game I've ever played (and beaten 3 times), I would have changed the evil ending. It was like something out of bad Ubisoft game.
Also, it would have been cooler if the voice box installer would actually go down your throat and install it realistically rather than as it if this were Half-Life 2.
My main gripe is that Olympus Avenue and Apollo Square didn't have as many scripted sequences as all the previous levels when they are the site of all the horror of rapture. It would have been perfect to add more ghosts, since it was a deathcamp/warzone, and some real scares like the medical pavillion and Fort Frolic had, instead of bodies that play possum. Awesome environments, actually some of the best in the game, just too centered around gameplay to maintain the level of charm those earlier and later levels like Point Prometheus had. It could just be that they're so ugly and all the other levels are eerily beautiful.
1. Big daddies are cool how they are, i dont want someting to make them seem more human, thats a terrible idea.
Originally Posted by Dragon Stance
2. Little Sister variations would of been nice, but also completely not nessecary.
3. Video diaries is probably the worst suggestion, considering they barely had tv back then... let alone camcorders, thats why they were radio recordings, because radio was SOOO popular back then.
1: To me, it was easier to kill them if they weren't humanised. If it were definitely still a human who was going round with the little sisters i probably wouldn't have saved any of them.
2:I'm fairly certain I saw at least 3 varieties of little sister, but it would have been a nice touch to have each on completely individual.
3: I liked the fact that there weren't many cutscenes where you had no control over them. A video diary would almost definitely be one of these.
4: I don't associate stats screens like that with a PC game but on the 360, yeah maybe.
5: I don't mind not having ending credits, but I think that if they weren't going to have them they should have made the ending vids longer somehow.
1. Spoilers prevent this.
2. ALL Little Sisters came from the same place with the same training. They wont be getting anything different in clothes anytime soon. (It was a orphanage.)
Only beefs I have with it.